- The recommended initial dosing of Sandostatin® LAR® is 20 mg administered at 4-week intervals for 3 months
- Subsequent dosage adjustment should be based on
- GH and IGF-1 concentrations
- Clinical symptoms
For patients currently receiving s.c. Sandostatin® Injection
- The initial dose of Sandostatin® LAR® can be given the day after the last dose of s.c. Sandostatin®
Managing Sandostatin® LAR® dosing over time1
For patients uncontrolled on Sandostatin® LAR®
- Patients whose GH and IGF-1 levels are not controlled within 3 months
- Dose may be increased to 30 mg every 4 weeks
- If after 3 months, GH, IGF-1, and/or symptoms are not adequately controlled at a dose of 30 mg
- Dose may be increased to 40 mg every 4 weeks
For patients consistently controlled on Sandostatin® LAR®
- Patients whose GH is consistently <1 µg/L and IGF-1 is normalized and in whom most reversible signs/symptoms of acromegaly have disappeared after 3 months of treatment with 20 mg
- Dose may be decreased to 10 mg every 4 weeks
- However, particularly in this group of patients, it is recommended to closely monitor adequate control of serum GH and IGF-1 concentrations, and clinical signs/symptoms at this low dose of Sandostatin® LAR®
- For patients on a stable dose of Sandostatin® LAR®, assessment of GH and IGF-1 should be made every 6 months
*The dosing information on this page applies only to patients prescribed Sandostatin® LAR® for acromegaly.
1. Sandostatin® LAR® Summary of Product Characteristics. Novartis Pharma AG. 2016.
Please see the Summary of Product Characteristics.