Administration by a healthcare professional:
- Helps a patient receive the right dose at the right time, using the right technique
Proper administration technique
Note: Sandostatin® LAR® must be given only by deep intramuscular injection, never intravenously.
- Insert the needle fully into the left or right gluteus at a 90º angle to the skin
- Slowly pull back the plunger to check that no blood vessel has been penetrated (reposition if a blood vessel has been penetrated)
- Depress the plunger with steady pressure until the syringe is empty. Withdraw the needle from the injection site and activate the safety guard
- Activate the safety guard over the needle in one of the two methods shown:
- either press the hinged section of the safety guard down onto a hard surface (figure A)
- or push the hinge forward with your finger (figure B)
- An audible “click” confirms the proper activation
- Dispose of syringe immediately (in a sharps container)
The Mobile Administration Program makes administration simpler by providing patients with nurses to administer Sandostatin® LAR® in their homes.