Administration by a healthcare professional:
- Helps guarantee a patient receives the right dose at the right time, using the right technique
Proper administration technique—optimize injection success and patient comfort
Position the patient
Enhanced needle sizes ease injections
With the updated formulation, the 20-gauge needle is the smallest available for somatostatin analogue injections.
- The patient, disrobed from the waist down, should stand in a comfortable upright position
Locate the ideal injection site
- 2 to 3 cm above the midpoint of an imaginary line between the posterior superior iliac spine (PSIS) and the greater trochanter (GT)
Compress the adipose tissue
The Mobile Administration Program makes administration simpler by providing patients with nurses to administer Sandostatin® LAR® in their homes.
Administer the injection at a 90° angle
Note: Sandostatin® LAR® must be given only by deep intragluteal injection, never intravenously.
- Remove alcohol swab from clean injection site and insert needle fully into right or left gluteus
- Slowly draw back plunger rod to check that no blood vessel has been penetrated; otherwise change needle position
- In one continuous motion and using steady pressure, depress the plunger rod to inject the entire dose
- Withdraw needle from injection site
- Activate safety guard using single-handed technique:
- Press hinged section of safety guard down onto rigid surface (eg, counter top) or
- Push hinge forward with forefinger, keeping all fingers behind needle tip
- Audible "click" confirms proper activation of safety mechanism
- Dispose of vial and syringe with needle immediately in sharps container or other rigid, closed disposal container